Monday 19 April 2021

Sidonius Companion ctd, and two afterthoughts

On Joop van Waarden's Sidonius website, there is currently a celebration of the anniversary of the Edinburgh Companion to Sidonius Apollinaris. There is a 40% discount on the admittedly steep price available until the end of April; there are links to free versions of Franz Dolveck's chapter on the manuscript tradition and Filomena Giannotti on modern reception (open here and go to the Resources tab); there is also a new section called Companion Ctd. It has a list of errata and addenda to the Companion, plus some details of reviews. I have also written a couple of longer supplements to my chapters in the Companion. 

The first of these is a supplement to my chapter 3, on 'Dating the Works of Sidonius' -- though in fact it has little to do with dating as such. In the chapter I reconstructed from manuscripts the transmitted titles of the works, something that the editions have been cavalier and imprecise about, but I did not give the evidence. So here is a refined edition of the paratexts to Sidonius' poems, based on a full consultation of the manuscripts. I am going to explore this subject in more depth at a paper in Siena in June (let's hope really Siena in June, because Siena by zoom does not have the same allure). I hope that it will be useful for scholars working on the poems. 

Secondly, in Joop van Waarden's and my chapter on Sidonius' prose rhythm, I argued that Sidonius is fond of a predominantly metrical form of clausulation (he doesn't always use it; there are accentual elements; but it is predominantly metrical). But I did not illustrate the clausulation of the passage that I used as an initial basis for my arguments. So I publish a clausulated version of Sidonius' letter 2.2.1-10, with a few additional remarks.

PS supplements to and discussions of points in the Edinburgh Companion are welcome on the Companion Ctd: please write to Joop van Waarden or myself.

No comments: